Traveston Soldiers Memorial Hall Print Page
The Traveston Soldiers Memorial Hall was erected in memory of those who served in World War One.
The hall was extensively renovated and reopened in 2011 after being closed for 12 months due to extensive white ant and moisture damage to the floor.The hall is heritage listed for its historic importance to past years in the Gympie gold mining industry. At its heart stands the original brick and concrete structure formerly used as a powder magazine for the Gympie mines. Gympie's founder James Nash was caretaker of the powder magazine from 1898 until 1911.It was closed as a magazine in 1921, and after some improvements, was officially opened as the Traveston Soldiers Memorial Hall on April 14, 1923. Mr H. F. Walker M.L.A performed the ceremony of opening the newly erected Soldiers' Memorial Hall at Traveston. Mr Wm. Traveston acted as chairman. A varied programme of sports was carried out and in the evening a social was held.The Brisbane Courier, 26th April 1923.
|Address:||Traveston Road, Traveston, 4570|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -26.321614|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 14th April, 1923|
TRAVESTON SOLDIERS MEMORIAL HALL