Goomboorian Memorial Hall Print Page
Goomboorian Memorial Hall commemorates those who died in service or were killed in action during World War One.
The hall was built in 1917 and in 1922, £160 was subscribed by residents to perpetuate the memories of those who had fallen in the Great War. This memorial took the form of additions to the hall comprising two dressing rooms and a hallway. On the 26th November 1927, a further extension to the hall was opened by Mr J Ostwald, one of the few remaining pioneers of Goomboorian and trustee of the hall.
The memorial rooms and doors of the Goomboorian Hall erected in memory of the fallen soldiers-Sergeant P.J.Kitchen and Private T.E. Mark and other soldiers who had enlisted from the locality were opened on Sunday. The memorial rooms-one for ladies and the other for gentlemen-are attached to the side of the hall, and are divided by a hallway which leads to the memorial folding doors, which open on the main hall. The doors are constructed of polished silky oak, and bear carved and raised panels, as honour boards, on which the names of the soldiers appear.
The Brisbane Courier (Qld.), 28 March 1922.
|Address:||Ross Road, Goomboorian, 4570|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -26.076876|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 26th March, 1922|
GOOMBOORIAN MEMORIAL HALL