Montville Memorial HallPrint Page
Montville Memorial Hall was erected in memory of those who served. The hall was built during World War Two by the men of Montville and Flaxton.
The Soldiers' Memorial Hall was built in 1941 under the auspices of the Montville sub-branch of the Returned Soldiers', Sailors' and Airmen's Imperial League of Australia (RSSAILA, now RSL) by veterans of World War One as a club room for returned soldiers. In seeking a grant of crown land on which to build the hall, the builders cited the need to provide support for World War Two servicemen when they returned. As home to the local sub-branch of the RSL, it functioned as a clubroom for local veterans until 1978 when it was donated to St Mary's Church of England and renamed Montville Memorial Hall, St Mary's Church Hall and Community Centre. Since construction, a kitchen has been added. The verandah was built in August 1995.
|Address:||Main Street, Memorial Hall, Montville, 4560|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -26.688359|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1942|
MONTVILLE MEMORIAL HALL
ST MARY`S CHURCH HALL
THIS MEMORIAL HALL
Was Built In World War II
By The Men Of Montville And Flaxton
From Timber Cut From Their Own Land On The Range.
From 1942, It Was The Home Of
The Montville Sub-Branch Of The R.S.L.
In 1978, After The Closure Of This Sub-Branch, The R.S.L.,
With The Approval Of The Community Of Montville
Handed Over This Hall To St. Mary`s Church
To Be Held In Trust As
A Church Hall And Community Centre.