Dungog Memorial Bowling Club & GatesPrint Page Print this page

Dungog Memorial Bowling Club : 16-December-2012
Dungog Memorial Bowling Club : 16-December-2012

Photographs supplied by Glen Yeomans

Dungog Memorial Bowling Club commemorates those who served in World Wars One and Two. The club was officially opened on the 12th April 1930. The memorial gates were dedicated on Anzac Day 1953 in memory of those who died in service or were killed in action in both World Wars. 

On Saturday afternoon, prior to 2 p.m. a large number of bowlers and citizens assembled on the roadway at Dungog Memorial Bowling Club greens for the official opening and dedication of the Memorial Gates. The President of the Dungog Memorial Club (Mr. J. W. Scott) said that twenty six years ago, a deputation waited upon the then Minister for Lands (Mr. Wearne) and secured an area as a memorial and recreation centre. The members have never lost sight of the fact that it was a Memorial as well as a recreation centre, with the result that the word Memorial was included in the designation of the Club. 

Two years ago the first memorial was initiated and donated by the then President, Mr. W. C. Jones and his Worship the Mayor, Ald F. H. Robinson, the memorial being unique in that it consisted of a seedling from the Lone Pine of Gallipoli, secured for the occasion by Mr. Les Grierson through the good offices of Mr. Butler, Curator of the Rookwood Memorial Cemetery. Today, said Mr. Scott, we are dedicating the second memorial, these magnificent Gates, generously donated by the lady associates of the Club . Mrs. Channon, President of the Ladies' Bowling Club, expressed the pleasure felt by the ladies in the opportunity to perpetuate the memory of those who died in the two World Wars and the present Korean conflict. This was also one way in which the ladies expressed tangible appreciation of the enjoyment of the privileges of the club. 

After the appropriate speeches the Dungog Brass Band led those present in rendering "God of Our Fathers," after which the Rev G. Mullin dedicated the Memorial Gates in the following words : — "In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost, amen. We dedicate these gates in loving memory of those young men and women who offered their lives during two world wars. In our going out and coming in may we ever be mindful of their sacrifice. May God Almighty help us to be worthy of their example." The blessing of the gates completed an impressive ceremonial.
Dungog Chronicle : Durham and Gloucester Advertiser (NSW ), 
29 April 1953.



Address:56 Brown Street, Dungog, 2420
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.401317
Long: 151.753633
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 25th April, 1953
Front Inscription

( Gates )

1914 -1939

(Plaque on Gates )

Erected By The
In Honor Of Those 
Who Gave Their Lives 
In The Service 
Of Their Country 
In The Wars
1914·18 * 1939·1945

Source: MA,NRWM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design