Avenue of RemembrancePrint Page
Athol and Kurrajong Trees planted to commemorate those who served in World Wars One and Two. The trees are on both sides of the road and the first trees were planted on 1st July 1917.
On March 9, 1917 a meeting was held in the Union Hotel to discuss the proposals for a memorial. The Meeting was chaired by L. Jones, with H. Cameron acting as secretary. It was decided that trees should be planted on both sides of Forbes Street as a memorial avenue. Tree guards were to be erected around the young plants upon which would be fixed plaques in memory of the town's gallant soldiers. The programme of planting was to be carried out by August 1st. G.C. Little was elected as President in charge of the programme, with T.C. Medlyn as his Secretary.
Most of these trees remain today with their memorial plates intact. Some have been damaged over the years or replaced. The RSL Sub Branch started a project to replace the damaged trees and renew the plaques in 2007. The historic plaques will find a new home in the Memorial Hall on a Wall of Remembrance.
A "Saluting Their Service " grant was received in July 2014 to install ten plaques with stands commemorating those from the area who served in World War One.
|Address:||Forbes Street, Trundle, 2875|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.921361|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Type:||Avenue of Honour|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 1st July, 1917|