Charleston Memorial HallPrint Page
The Charleston Memorial Hall was dedicated in 1928 to commemorates those who lost their lives in World War One.
A memorial stone was set into the hall on 2nd April 1955 to commemorate lost their lives in World War Two.
Delightful weather favoured the residents of Charleston and surrounding districts on the occasion of the opening of the new memorial hall, which took place on Saturday, April 14th. Mr. Herbert Newman (president) gave a brief report of the progress of lhe voluntary work of the residents, and of the excellent work put into the hall by Mr. P. Scadden, who was re sponsible for the masonry work, while credit is due to Mr. A. Liebelt, of Charleston, for drawing the plans and doing the carpentry work. £420 of the £750 required to build the hall was now in hand, and the announcement was received with cheers, as this amount had been mainly contributed by the generosity of the residents and on the function of the laying of the foundation stone, which took place on November 26th, 1927, and was laid by Mrs. George Newman, who for many years was a resident of Charleston, who was loved and respected by all.
After being introduced by the president,-the Attorney-General (the Hon.H. Homburg) addressed the gathering and congratulated the committee on their excellent position financially and complimented them on having built such a fine hall. Self-denial, be said, was behind all such big efforts, which remark harmonized with the wish of the people to dedicate the hall in memory of those who fell and those who fought in the Great War.
The Mount Barker Courier and Onkaparinga and Gumeracha Advertiser (SA), 20 April 1928.
|Address:||Newman Road, Charleston, 5244|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.916074|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Manufacturer:||Mr P Scadden & Mr A Liebelt|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 14th April, 1928|
Erected to the memory of our fallen of World War II. 1939 - 45.
This stone was laid by Mrs. V. E. Dunn 2nd April 1955