Yanco Memorial HallPrint Page
The brick front of the hall was erected in memory of those who served in conflicts in which Australia has been involved.
Just on three years ago the citizens of Yanco decided that something should be done about improving the appearance of their hall, so the Progress Association called a public meeting at which it was decided that a fund named the Yanco Hall Improvement Fund should be started. The idea being to add a brick front to the hall. After several discussions it was finally decided that an effort should be made to raise sufficient funds to build in brick a "Front" to the hall, which would also include a committee room and two cloak rooms with a foyer in the centre and it should be the Yanco Memorial to those who fought to preserve our way of life. Owing to the strikes in that first year, lots of the plans for raising finance had to go by the board, but during the next year, helped by a very successful gymkhana and other efforts, the fund began to grow. This continued through last year when, although the profits of the gymkhana were shared with Yanco Sports Ground Committee, the funds reached well into the fifth hundred pounds. As the funds were being raised, it was decided that the time had arrived to get tentative plans drawn.
A committee consisting of Cr. Lewis, Mr. T. V. Cooke and Mr. W. T. Ottley was appointed for this purpose. Acting on a suggestion, the committee asked Mr. Buckham, the shire engineer to help them and he very willingly agreed to do so. These four gentlemen met at the hall and after discussion, decided on a plan which they considered would give the hall a very big face lift. The offer of Mr.Buckham to place the ideas on paper was readily accepted by the others and the result was a set of plans. When the building is erected, it will make the front of the hall a thing of beauty that will be the envy of many other centres. The plans are for building a brick veneer in front of the hall as it now stands and to erect two rooms 16 ft. x 11ft., one each side of a nine foot wide foyer over which will be constructed an operating box with an awning protecting the main entrance to the hall. These rooms and foyer will be erected in front of the main part of the hall and one of the rooms will be divided for use as cloak rooms with a partition that will be of a permanent nature.
Murrumbidgee Irrigator (Leeton, NSW), 30 January 1951.
|Address:||Main Avenue, Yanco, 2703|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.603621|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Wednesday 25th April, 1951|
YANCO Community HALL