Wanganella and District War Memorial Print Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Tim Fitzgerald

The War Memorial commemorates those who have served in the various conflicts in which Australia has been involved.

On either side of the monument, which was originally erected for those who served in World War One, are two granite plinths which contain honour rolls for World War One and later conflicts.

UNVEILING CEREMONY. A large gathering assembled at Wanganella on Sunday last to take part in the unveiling of a soldiers' memorial, which had been erected by voluntary subscriptions from the residents of the Village and surrounding district. The ceremony began with the singing of the hymn, "Onward Christian Soldiers." Mr Ernest Officer (in the absence of Mr P. Daly, president of the Windouran Shire, owing to illness in his family) unveiled the monument, and said it would stand for all time as a record of those who had answered the call of duty, and who were ready to sacrifice all for their country, three of whom had given their lives, It would also point out to future generations the path of duly and loyalty to the Empire. The National Anthem was then sung, and Rev. Canon E. Jellicoe Rogers read the dedication service and gave a short address on duty and loyalty. Mr H. S. Schollick asked the gathering to subscribe to fence the land on which the monument was erected, He said it had been purchased by Mr Officer, whose intention it was to hand it over to the shire. It was hoped that trees would be planted, and that in time the area would be a pleasant garden for the residents of Wanganella. (Mr Schollick started the subscription list with a donation of £25.) The monument is opposite the post office and faces the bridge. It is of obelisk form of grey Harcourt granite, and stands about 12 feet high. The inscription reads "Erected by the residents of the Wanganella district as a tribute to those who answered the call in the Great War 1914-1919. On three sides are the names of the 24 men who went from the district. 
Independent (Deniliquin, NSW),  29 September 1922.


Address:Lang Street, Wanganella, 2710
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.211475
Long: 144.816506
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 24th September, 1922
Front Inscription

By The Residents
       Of The
District Of Wanganella
      — As  —
A Grateful Tribute
Of Those
Who Answered The Call
In The Great War
1914 - 1919.

   [ Names ]

This Stone Was Unveiled By
His Excellency Rear Admiral
Peter Sinclair 
Governor Of New South Wales

On The 1
1th February 1995
To Commemorate The
0th Anniversary Of The
Ending Of The Second World War 

N.G. Porter      J.R. Small
Mayor              Member for Murray

Left Side Inscription

World War Two 1939-1945
[ Names ]

[ Names ]

[ Names ]

Plinth :

Windouran Shire Council
Names Of Former Residents Of The Shire
Who Served In The Forces
In World War II And The Vietnam War

[ Names ]


Back Inscription

 The Boer War 1899 -1902

[ Names ]

The Great War  1914-1918

 [ Names ]

Right Side Inscription

The Great War 1914 -1918

[ Names ]

Plinth :

Windouran Shire Council
Names Of Former Residents Of The Shire 
Who Served In The Forces 
In World War II And The Vietnam War

[ Names ]

Vietnam War
[ Names ]

Source: MA,NRWM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design