St Raphael`s War Memorial ChurchPrint Page
St. Raphael's War Memorial Church was dedicated in memory of those who served in conflicts in which Australia has been involved. The foundation stone for the church was blessed and laid by Reverend Eris O`Brien on the 3rd July 1955.
The Queanbeyan RSL sub-branch donated a dedication plaque and gate. The brass memorial plaque in memory of those who served is attached to the gate of the entrance to the choir loft stairs.
Archbishop Eris O'Brien will bless and open the new Catholic Church in Lowe Street, Queanbeyan, to-morrow at 2 p.m. The new church, which will replace St. Gregory's as the parish church in Queanbeyan, has been built at a cost of £105,000. It will be known as St. Raphael's War Memorial Church. Although modern in design, it will have a touch of history in a huge bell, which was brought to Queanbeyan by bullock train in 1870. One of the parish's priests in the early part of the century, Monsignor Collender, has returned to Queanbeyan for the open ing of the new church. Although replaced by St. Raphael's as the main place of worship for the Catholic community of Queanbeyan, Stt Gregory's will still be used regularly.
Canberra Times (ACT), 8 December 1956.
|Address:||Lowe Street, St Raphael`s Memorial Catholic Church, Queanbeyan, 2620|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.355275|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 9th December, 1956|
In Memory Of Those Who Served
LEST WE FORGET
Donated to St Raphaels Memorial Church By The City of Queanbeyan RSL Sub Branch