Queanbeyan RSL Memorial Bowling ClubPrint Page
Queanbeyan RSL Memorial Bowling Club was erected in memory of those who served in conflicts in which Australia has been involved.
The Queanbeyan RSL Memorial Bowling Club was opened last Saturday by the NSW State President of the RSL, Sir William Yeo, to coincide with the Floral Festival. The greens of the club have been in use for the past two seasons but the opening was delayed until the club house and gardens were completed. Lady Yeo rolled the first official jack and Sir William put down the first official bowl. The Queanbeyan RSL Bowling Club dates back to 1958 when the idea was first mooted. The club is run as an entity separate from the sub-branch although still remaining part of the local RSL organisation. Bowlers from other clubs attended for the occasion which started with a dinner in the RSL Club board room. This was attended by Sir William and Lady Yeo, visiting bowls identities, and members of the sub branch executive and the club board of management. The new bowling club is in Yass road and an unexpected result of the hard work put into the greens and surrounds for the occasion was that on Sunday the bowling club gardens were awarded first prize in the public gardens section of the Floral Festival garden competition.
Canberra Times (ACT), 10 November 1966.
|Address:||Yass Road, Queanbeyan , 2620|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.345489|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 5th November, 1966|