Five Dock War MemorialPrint Page
Five Dock War Memorial was originally erected to commemorate those who have died in service or were killed in action during World War One. The memorial was refurbished and rededicated in 1987.
Five Dock Park was chosen as the site and the cost of the memorial was about ₤500. The foundation stone for the bandstand was laid by Major-General C.H.Brand on the 28th January 1923. Two memorial plaques to the dead of World War Two were dedicated by Reverend G.W.Christopher on the 14th November 1948.
The memorial is an elaborate rotunda which is kept secure by metal grills in the door ways and window areas. The centre of the rotunda has an octagon shape tablet with the names of those honoured surmounted by a light. The rotunda is surrounded by a garden with hedges, pine trees and rosemary bushes.
It is proposed to erect a memorial in Five Dock to the memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice in the war, a contract having been let to Messrs. D.Taunton & Sons builders and contractors. The memorial will take the form of an octagonal band rotunda, of brick and cement, with marble tablets containing the names of the fallen. The site chosen is in the Five Dock Park, on the highest point In the district. The cost of the building will be about £500, raised locally. There is not sufficient money on hand at present, but the committee feel sure that when the building is unveiled towards the end of the year it will be done absolutely free from debt. The secretary asks to be furnished with the names of the fallen as soon as possible. The memorial scheme also includes an avenue of trees leading to the rotunda.
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 25 July 1922.
|Address:||Park Road, Five Dock Park, Five Dock, 2046|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.866939|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Manufacturer:||Messrs D Taunton & Sons|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 28th January, 1923|
The Five Dock War Memorial
The Foundation stone of which was laid on
January 28, 1923
Was rededicated on
September 12, 1987
The Drummoyne Ministers Fraternal
after refurbishment by
Drummoyne Municipal Council
Erected By the citizens in Memory of
the Men of the District
Dedication: 28 January 1923