Breakfast Point War MemorialPrint Page
Breakfast Point War Memorial replaces the original war memorial which was located at the Tennyson Road entrance to the former Australian Gas Light Company (AG) Mortlake Gasworks and commemorates employees who served in World War One and World War Two.
The former gasworks area has undergone remediation and significant redevelopment to accommodate the Breakfast Point residential development by the Rose Property Group (Rosecorp). The first residents moved into the area in 2002 and a Community Association (CA) was formed to manage the common areas of the development. The Group decided to seek replacement of the lost memorial and Rosecorp offered to fund the project. At the following AGM of the Community Association unanimous approval was given to the design and construction of the replacement War Memorial at The Oval.
Adjacent to a flagstaff at the highest point of the development, the memorial is formed on a sandstone base with three bronze plaques. All three plaques were on the original memorial which was located at the works entrance. The largest and original plaque is in memory of the 45 employees who lost their lives in the Great War. The second plaque, originally attached to the plinth of the Great War memorial, is dedicated to all those employees who served in World War Two. No names are listed on this plaque however AGL acknowledged the service of their men and women in World War Two with this and also a memorial on the Remembrance Driveway at Sutton Forest on the highway to Canberra. The third and smallest of the plaques records the unveiling of the Great War Memorial by the then Governor of NSW in 1926.
|Address:||Village Drive, Breakfast Point, 2137|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.844042|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 13th November, 2010|