Duntroon CentenaryPrint Page
A bronze plaque on a large plinth next to the parade ground was presented by the Duntroon Society and commemorates the centenary year of the college.
Robert Campbell's property Duntroon was situated on the limestone plains of New South Wales in the area that is now covered by the ACT.
Duntroon was recommended as the site for Australia's Military College by Lord Kitchener, who had been commissioned in 1910 to report on the country's defence needs. Initially the government rented Duntroon for two years before obtaining the title to Duntroon and its surrounding 360 acres (1.5 km²) through the creation of the Australian Capital Territory. On 27 June 1911 the Royal Military College opened at Duntroon.
|Address:||Lavarack Harrison Road, Parade Ground, Royal Military College Duntroon, Campbell, 2612|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.299047|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||27-June-1911|
|Actual Event End Date:||27-June-2011|
|Monument Designer:||Ross Bastiann|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Monday 31st January, 2011|
THE ROYAL MILITARY COLLEGE OF AUSTRALIA
ROYAL MILITARY COLLEGE OF AUSTRALIA
The RMC opened at Duntroon on 27th June 1911. The first class comprised 32 Australians and 10 New Zealanders creating at the outset an association of lasting mutual benefit. Five classes graduated for service in the 1914 -18 war.
RMC graduates saw action at the Anzac Landing and on the Gallipoli Peninsula, and later in France, Belgium and Palestine. Those young officers proved the worth of the College, and they inspired its traditions and enduring esprit de corps.
In the 1939-45 War, graduates fought in North Africa, the Middle East, Italy, SE Asia and the Pacific, serving as regimental and staff officers at all levels and in senior command appointments.
Subsequently Australian and New Zealand graduates served together in Korea, Malaya, Borneo and Vietnam.
In 1968 RMC affiliated with The University of New South Wales, enabling cadets to graduate from Duntroon with UNSW degrees until academic studies were transferred to the Australian Defence Force Academy in 1986.
The College then took over the roles of the former Officer Cadet Schools at Portsea and Georges Heights. It now trained direct entry men and women, and ADFA graduates with cadets from New Zealand and other nations for regular commissions in their armies. Later RMC took over the training of all Regular and Reserve officers for the Australian Army.
RMC graduates have since been engaged overseas in combat, peace-keeping and humanitarian operations. They continue to serve their countries with distinction in the armed forces, and also in high public office.
The Duntroon Society presented this plaque to the RMC
as a centenary gift.
Sculptor: Ross J. Bastiaan 2008