War Widows Guild (ANZAC) Field of Remembrance 60th AnniversaryPrint Page
A plaque commemorates the 60th year of the ANZAC Field of Remembrance which was begun in 1952 by the War Widows Guild.
The War Widows` Guild Field of Remembrance began in 1952, when Mrs Leslie Pope, widow of Rear-Admiral C J Pope, R.A.N. (assisted by the War Widows’ Guild) organised the first Field after seeing a similar ceremony held in the old churchyard of St Margaret’s in London, alongside Westminster Abbey. Mrs Pope was involved in the Field of Remembrance until her death in 1963, and the New South Wales War Widows’ Guild has continued her task.
Each year a memorial service is held in St Andrew’s Cathedral several days prior to ANZAC Day, followed by the Dedication of the Field and the planting of official crosses. The State Governor plants the first cross for the Unknown Warrior, followed by representatives from the New Zealand Government, City of Sydney, the three armed services, the Returned Services League and the War Widows’ Guild. Hundreds of crosses are then planted by the public, providing a quiet and personal way of remembering those who gave their lives in the service of their country.
|Address:||George & Bathurst Streets, St Andrews Cathedral, Sydney, 2000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.873839|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1952|
|Approx. Event End Date:||2011|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Tuesday 19th April, 2011|
This plaque was unveiled on 19 April 2011 by
Her Excellency Professor Marie Bashir AC CVO
Governor of New South Wales
To mark the 60th ANZAC Field of Remembrance
at St Andrew`s Cathedral
organised by the
War Widows` Guild of Australia NSW Ltd