H.M.A.S. TamworthPrint Page
Anchor belonging to the HMAS Tamworth installed in Bicentennial Park in Tamworth as a memorial to the men who served on her between 1942 and 1946.
HMAS Tamworth, named for the city of Tamworth, New South Wales, was one of 60 Bathurst class corvettes constructed during World War Two and one of 20 built on Admiralty order but manned by personnel of and later commissioned into the Royal Australian Navy (RAN). Tamworth was commissioned at Maryborough on 8 August 1942 under the command of Lieutenant William H. Deans RANVR. Tamworth was paid off at Sydney on 30 April 1946, having steamed over 125,000 miles. On the same day she was transferred to the Royal Netherlands Navy and renamed Tidore. In December 1949 the ship was transferred to the Indonesian Navy and renamed Pati Unus. She was disposed of in 1969.
|Address:||Kable Avenue, Bicentennial Park, Tamworth, 2340|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.094167|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1942|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1946|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 10th July, 2011|
Erected By The Rotary Club Of Tamworth West
To Commemorate The Ship And
The Men Who Served On Her From 1942 To 1946.
Erected On The 100th Anniversary Of The
Royal Australian Navy
On 10th July 2011