2nd /14th Light Horse Regiment ( Queensland Mounted Infantry)Print Page
Memorial commemorates the 150th anniversary of the 2nd / 14th Light Horse Regiment ( Queensland Mounted Infantry) .
The 2/14 LHR (QMI) was formed in 1952, though sentimentally traces its lineage to 1860. Consequently, there was a claim that it was the oldest Australian Regular Army unit through the antecedent units 2nd Moreton Light Horse (QMI) and the 14th West Moreton Light Horse (QMI) and celebrated its 150th anniversary in 2010.
The 2/14th Queensland Infantry was formed when volunteers were called by proclamation on 18th February 1860 by the first Governor of Queensland, Sir George Ferguson Bowen. In 1864 the unit was renamed Queensland Light Horse. Under the 'Defence Act of 1884' there was a reorganisation and the unit name changed in 1885 to Moreton Mounted Infantry.
Following the Shearers Strike of 1891 the Mounted Infantry units adopted the emu feather plumes to wear in their felt hats. It was also at this time that the emu was incorporated in the units badge.
|Address:||Chauvel Drive, Gallipoli Barracks, Enoggera, 4051|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.424661|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||2010|