No.9 SquadronPrint Page
Plaque commemorates the personnel who served in the No.9 Squadron during various conflicts in which Australia was involved.
|Address:||Fairbairn & Limestone Avenues, Australian War Memorial Sculpture Garden, Campbell, 2612|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.280169|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||May, 2006|
No.9 SQUADRON, RAAF
The successor of 101 Fleet Co-operation Flight (which operated in the 1920s from HMAS Albatross), 9 (Fleet Co-operation) Squadron was formed in 1939. It operated Seagull and Walrus aircraft from Australian, British and New Zealand warships during the Second World War, notably in HMA Ships Sydney, Perth and Canberrra.
Re-formed in 1962 and equipped with Iroquois helicopters, the squadron served in Vietnam from 1966 to 1971 with RAAF, RAN and RNZAF personnel. It provided tactical air support to the operations of the Australian Task Force and allied forces. The squadron was disbanded in 1989.
Dedicated to all those who lost their lives on operations and in honour of all who served - 9 Squadron Association,