War Widows` Guild (ANZAC) Field of RemembrancePrint Page
A plaque at the base of the flagstaff commemorates the annual ANZAC Field of Remembrance garden that has been organised by the War Widows` Guild at the cathedral since 1952.
The ANZAC Field of Remembrance is an annual event held at St. Andrew`s cathedral, Sydney, which is hosted by the War Widows' Guild of Australia NSW Ltd. The event involves the planting of wooden crosses in remembrance of those who have died due to their involvement in war. The first Field of Remembrance in Sydney was held in 1952. It was an idea that originated from the late Mrs C J Pope, widow of Rear Admiral Pope, after she had visited London and been impressed by the Filed of Remembrance held each year in an old churchyard near Westminster Abbey. In 1972 the Attorney-General granted the War Widows’ Guild of Australia NSW Ltd permission to use the word 'ANZAC' in the title, and the Field has been known since then as the ANZAC Field of Remembrance and continues to the present day.
A non-denominational service is held prior to Anzac Day at St Andrew’s Cathedral, Sydney, with a lesson read by the Governor of New South Wales. The service is followed by the Dedication of the Field and the planting of the official crosses. The first cross is planted by the Governor in memory of The Unknown Warrior, followed by crosses planted on behalf of the three armed forces: Navy, Army and Air Force; the citizens of Sydney; New Zealanders and their armed forces; veterans; and war widows.
|Address:||George Street, St Andrews Cathedral Square, Sydney, 2000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.873839|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Wednesday 19th April, 1978|
This Plaque Was Unveiled By
The Governor Of New South Wales
SIR RODEN CUTLER
V.C., K.C.M.G., K.C.V.O., C.B.E.
To Mark The Annual ANZAC Field Of Remembrance
Organized In The Grounds Of The Cathedral Church
Of St Andrew Since 1952 By The War Widows Guild
Of Australia, New South Wales.