1st Light Horse Regiment N.S.W. LancersPrint Page Print this page

Light Horse Plaque : 30-August-2014
Light Horse Plaque : 30-August-2014

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown

Brass plaque with coloured lettering to commemorate the handing over of the Colours to St John's Cathedral on June 1st 1924. The colours were transferred to the Royal New South Wales Lancers Memorial Museum in 1969.

The flag presented to the 1st Light Horse Regiment (Lancers), for service in the South African War, was dedicated on Sunday at St. John's Church, Parramatta, where it will permanently remain.
The Sydney Morning Herald, 3 June 1924.


Address:195 Church Street , St John`s Anglican Church, Parramatta, 2150
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.815936
Long: 151.002864
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Conflict


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Thursday 21st January, 1926
Front Inscription

Relief of Kimberley.   Johannesburg.
Paardeberg.               Diamond Hill.
Driefontein.                Belfast.

First Light Horse Regiment.
N.S.W. Lancers.

The colours were presented to the regiment in Melbourne in 1902, by the Governor-General of Australia. On behalf of King Edward VII in recognition of services rendered during the South African War 1899-1902. The officer commanding the Color Party at the presentation was LIEUT-COL. C. F. COX. C.B.

The Colors were handed over to St John’s Church Parramatta on Sunday June 1st 1924. The Regiment carrying the Kings Colors presented for services at Gallipoli, in Egypt. And in Palestine, during the Great War. 1914-1918.

This Tablet was unveiled by Field Marshal the Viscount Allenby of Megiddo and Felixstowe. January 21st 1926.

( Silver plaque underneath)

The colors referred to above were transferred to the Royal N.S.W. Lancers’ Memorial Museum, Parramatta, in 1969.


Source: NRWM, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design