Wynnum Memorial AvenuePrint Page
Wynnum Memorial Avenue was planted in 1920 to form an avenue of honour dedicated to the memory of the men from the Wynnum district who died in service or were killed in action in World War One.
Hoop pines (Araucaria cunninghamii) and Cocos palms (Syagrus romanzoffiana) were planted in what was then known as Russell Park by Mayor Richard Russell and his friend William De Lange. The trees were planted on both sides of the roadway which threaded its way from Peel Street to the northern entrance at Andrew Street. Beside each tree a wooden cross was erected bearing a metal plaque and the name of a fallen soldier. The Memorial Avenue was enhanced in 1998 to honour men of the district who died in all conflicts.
The City Council proposes to hand over to the education authorities Memorial Park, Wynnum, where it is to establish an Intermediate and high school. It was announced at the City Hall that the Government had agreed to meet the £200 debt on the ground owed by the Wynnum and Manly Horticultural Society to the Commercial Bank of Australia, and to cede to the council three acres of land at Wynnum North. The memorial park site had an area of 21 acres in which many trees had been planted, a number with memorial plates bearing the names of dead soldiers of the district. Mr. S. Green, M.L.A., for Wynnum said last night that the trees in the park would not be destroyed.
The Courier-Mail, 20th April 1939.
|Address:||Peel Street, Wynnum State High School, Wynnum, 4178|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.455012|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Type:||Avenue of Honour|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1920|