Warwick War Memorial Print Page
The Warwick War Memorial was originally erected in memory of those who had died in service or were killed in action during World War One. The names of the service personnel who died in service or were killed in action during World War Two, the Korean and Vietnam Wars were added to the memorial at a later date.
The words, ''Our Honoured Dead," surmounted by a wreath, carved in the solid stone, form the outstanding inscription on the Fallen Soldiers Memorial in Leslie Park. There is also the people's tribute: "Lest we forget. Erected in the year 1923 to cherish and perpetuate the memory of the men of Warwick and district who were faithful unto death in the Empire's victorious struggle for righteousness and freedom. In sacred sleep they lie. Say not that the brave die." This memorial was unveiled by his Excellency the Governor, Sir Matthew Nathan, on the 5th December 1923 in the presence of a very large assemblage, including a contingent of returned soldiers, the citizen forces, and all branches of war workers.
The monument, which stands 35ft. in height, and cost £1445, contains 220 tons of stone, and stands on three granite bases, acting as steps and foundation. It is constructed of Helidon freestone. The second pedestal has four granite columns, in Corinthian order, with capitals and entablature. The whole is surmounted by a Celtic cross in Helidon freestone, while the badge of the A.I.F. in shown in bold relief. The foundation stone was laid by the Prime Minister (Mr. Bruce) in June 1923. It is also intended at a later date to erect memorial gates containing the names of all the men who enlisted from Warwick. There are 122 names of the fallen on the memorial.
During the unveiling ceremony it was stated that Warwick had sent 2000 men to the front, and also had raised about £20,000 for war purposes, never failing to reach the quota fixed for the various,war and peace loans. The total sum raised for the monument to date is £1989 and a further sum of £250 is required to complete the scheme.
The Queenslander (Brisbane), 15th December 1923.
|Address:||Palmerin & Fitzroy Streets, Leslie Park, Warwick, 4370|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -28.213652|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Manufacturer:||Frank Williams & Co (Ipswich, QLD)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Wednesday 5th December, 1923|
This Memorial Was Unveiled By
His Excellency the Governor
SIR MATTHEW NATHAN P.C., G.C.M.G.
5th December 1923.
WARWICK DISTRICT WAR DEAD
World War II
[ Names ]
[ Names ]
[ Names ]
"Lest We Forget."
Erected In The Year 1923, A.D., To Cherish And To |
Perpetuate The Memory Of The Men From Warwick And
District Who Were Faithful Unto Death In The Empire`s
Victorious Struggle For Righteousness And Freedom.
"In Sacred Sleep They Lie. Say Not That The Brave Die."
[ Names ]
The Foundation Stone Of This Memorial
Was Laid On 7th June 1923
HON. S M. BRUCE
Prime Minister Of
The Commonwealth Of Australia.
This Plaque Was Laid To Commemorate
The Inclusion Of The Names To The Cenotaph
Of the Warwick District War Dead From
World War II, Korean War And The Vietnam Conflict
The Mayor Of Warwick Shire Council
Councillor Bruce Green
6th July 1996