St Luke`s Warriors` ChapelPrint Page
The St Luke`s Warriors` Chapel and memorial windows commemorate those who served in both World Wars.
In 1945 the parish agreed to complete the eastern end of the building as a war memorial and the foundation stone of these extensions was laid in 1947. A new design was commissioned from Charles Beresford Marks, which had included the northern transept and chancel. The extensions were built in stages and completed in 1959 and dedicated by Archbishop Halse. At this time foundations were laid for the southern transept and this area is yet to be completed.
|Address:||Herries & Ruthven Streets, St. Luke`s Anglican Church , Toowoomba, 4350|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.565285|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 19th October, 1947|
Greater love hath no man than this
that a man lay down his life for his friends
In Grateful memory of those
who went forth from this parish
& gave their lives in two World Wars.
This window is donated by Relatives and Parishioners.
To The Glory of God
In Grateful Memory Of All Those Who From
This Parish Went Forth And Died On Active
Service In The Wars 1914 -18. 1939 -45.
This Stone Was Set By
His Excellency the Governor of Queensland
Lieut. Gen. Sir John D. Lavarack.
K.B.E., C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O.
On Oct. 19, 1947 In The Presence Of
His Grace The Archbishop Of Brisbane
Most Reverend R. C. Halse D.D.
And Of The Parishoners And Leading Citizens Of Toowoomba.
C. Marks Esq. Architect
R. W. Shand Th. L. Rector
W. Lyon Esq. Lt. Col. R. H. Carlise M.B.E. Church Warden