Tingalpa War MemorialPrint Page
The Tingalpa War Memorial was originally erected by the residents of Tingalpa to commemorate those who enlisted in World War One. The memorial featuring a 'digger' statue was damaged in a traffic accident and repaired and unveiled by Major Dowden on Anzac Day 1939. A plaque was added to the memorial at a later date to commemorate the men and women who served in World War Two.
The war memorial at Tingalpa , eight miles from the city on the way to Wynnum, was wrecked on the 2nd June 1937 when struck by a taxi-cab. The memorial was l6ft. high and stood at the junction of Wynnum and Manly roads. The figure of a soldier crashed on to the bonnet of the car, and was smashed to pieces.
Queensland Times, 3rd June 1937.
On a recommendation from the town planning and health committee the City Council were asked on the 14th September 1937 to approve of the Tingalpa war memorial, broken in two traffic accidents recently, being re-erected on the old site on the main Wynnum-road. This is strongly advocated by returned soldiers, but the council has received a petition from a number of residents, suggesting that the memorial should be re-erected at the entrance to Kianawah Park, nearby. The petition stated that the old site had a bad swinging curve towards Wynnum. The Royal Automobile Club of Queensland, favours this suggestion and says the recent accident should be sufficient warrant for its reerection in a more suitable spot. On behalf of returned soldiers, several letters have been sent to the council protesting against the memorial being erected on a new site. One letter, signed by 10 returned men, states: 'Should our protest be disregarded we desire our names to be obliterated from the table of names on the memorial."
The Courier Mail, 11th September 1937.
|Address:||Belmont & Wynnum Roads, Tingalpa, 4173|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.47462|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Manufacturer:||A. L. Petrie & Sons (Toowong, QLD)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 9th August, 1919|
THE RESIDENTS OF TINGALPA
IN RECOGNITION OF THE SERVICES
OF THOSE WHO ENLISTED
FROM THE DISTRICT IN THE GREAT WAR
MEN AND WOMEN
WHO SERVED AUSTRALIA
IN TIME OF CONFLICT
DURING WORLD WAR II