Stanthorpe Soldiers MemorialPrint Page
The Stanthorpe Soldiers Memorial commemorates those who have served in the various conflicts in which Australia has been involved.
The memorial is in the form of a rest house which contains honour rolls listing those who served in conflicts.
Originally erected to commemorate those who served in World War One, the Memorial takes the form of a park and rest house located on Foxton Hill described at the time by the Queenslander as one of the lonely hills overlooking Stanthorpe. The rest house was designed by Warwick architects Dornbush and Connolly and built by local contractors N.J. Thompson and Sons; inside are seats and on the walls, five rolls of honour, one of which was reserved for the fallen. The land was chosen because of its solitude, its views of Stanthorpe, and its reminiscence to the Turkish coastline.
The building is in a north-south orientation to capture the sunrise and sunset from the building’s openings, and bench seating provides an opportunity to read the names on bronze memorial plaques. The plaques are situated in the four corners symbolising that men were drawn from the four corners of the region. Barriers constructed to the base of the plaque walls force those reading the inscriptions to step back from them as a mark of respect, and to give an altar like appearance to the wall. Ivy, pine trees, red cotoneasters and oak trees were planted on the site because of their symbolic reference to war. Stars of the Southern Cross painted on the ceiling.
Originally the main ANZAC Day and Remembrance Day Services were held at this site. Due to the isolated nature and physically difficult climb to reach the site, especially for Veterans, the main services were relocated to the War Memorial at Weeroona Park.
Sir William Glasgow, K.C.G., has consented to unveil the memorial to the soldiers of Stanthorpe and district, which is now completed on the summit of the Memorial Park, just beyond the railway station, at 2.30 p.m., February 6.
The Brisbane Courier, 1st February 1926
The movement for the construction of a fitting memorial to the soldiers who served in the Great War was commenced in 1919 but owing to several reasons it did not come to fruition. Originally suggested to be on Mt Marley, Foxton's Hill was finally chosen and the committee purchased the land for a memorial park. The ground was levelled and the memorial in the shape of a concrete rest shed was built. Messrs N. J. Thompson and Sons were the contractors for the rest house and Dornbusch & Co. the architects.
The Brisbane Courier (Qld), 8th February 1926.
|Address:||Lock Street, Stanthorpe, 4380|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -28.656182|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Dornbusch & Co (architects)|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Messrs N. J. Thompson & Sons|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 6th February, 1926|
1914 - 1919