Oakey War MemorialPrint Page
The Oakey War Memorial was originally erected to commemorate those who served in World War One. The memorial now commemorates Australian servicemen and women who have served in all wars and conflicts was rededicated in April 2000.
The original war memorial was relocated from the middle of the main street near the railway line to a position next to the Council Chambers. An additional three part wall bearing many plaques has been placed behind it with tributes for veterans from World War One to East Timor and United Nations peacekeeping. A 1960's style bronze digger with his weapon has been placed on top of the original memorial. This is one of the first new soldier figures erected since World War One digger memorials appeared in many centres.
The Jondaryan district war memorial was unveiled by his Excellency the Governor of Queensland, Sir Matthew Nathan on the 28th August 1922. The memorial is in the form is in the form of a cenotaph, the base of Helidon freestone and the remainder white marble. Three hundred and twenty-six names are inscribed on a polished granite slab. The total cost of the memorial is £600, of which £550 has been subscribed, including a donation of £140 by the Jondaryan Shire Council. The Newtown Excelsior Band played "The Dead March " as the flags fell apart and the "Last Post" was sounded.
The Brisbane Courier, 29th August 1922
|Address:||Campbell & McDonald Streets, Bicentennial Park , Oakey, 4401|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.434824|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Monday 28th August, 1922|
TO THE GLORY OF GOD
AND IN PROUD REMEMBRANCE
OF THOSE FROM THE SHIRE OF
JONDARYAN AND OAKEY DISTRICT,
WHO SERVED IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918
OAKEY WAR MEMORIAL
Original column erected in Campbell Street in 1922
Relocated and incorporated into this Memorial
Re-dedication plaque unveiled by
Cr Peter Taylor
Jondaryan Shire Council
13 April 2000