Nambour War Memorial (Original)Print Page
The original Nambour War Memorial was erected to commemorate the men of Nambour who fell in World War One. The obelisk commemorates those who served in World War One, World War Two, Korea and Vietnam. When returned servicemen built their white obelisk in Brookes Memorial Park they used steel railway lines as reinforcement to ensure it could never be moved. However when the Bruce Highway was widened beside it there was no space for ceremonies. To overcome this, a replica memorial was built in the grounds of Quota Memorial Park.
At the meeting of the Memorial Committee the tender of Mr R. Whitecross was accepted for the erection of the memorial stone to the men of Nambour who lost their lives in World War One. The base will be 20ft. square, surmounted by squares of lesser area, from the centre of which the obelisk will rise 20ft. Mr W. Whalley donated the marble tablet to be set in the pillar, on which the inscription will be "The Great War , 1914-1918, their names liveth forevermore. Mr A.H. Brookes donated the electric light fittings for the top of the column on behalf of members of his family. The obelisk memorial was unveiled by Major R. Spencer Brown C.B., V.D., on the 25th April 1928.
The Brisbane Courier, 28th May 1927, 27th April 1928.
|Address:||Coronation Avenue, Brookes Memorial Park , Nambour, 4560|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -26.618004|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Wednesday 25th April, 1928|