www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Marburg War Memorial Stones Print Page Print this page

Marburg War Memorial Stones
Marburg War Memorial Stones

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson / John Huth

The Marburg War Memorial consists of two white cairns and a very tall flagpole. The flagpole was erected in September 1919 and the Honour Stone was erected in 1920 in honour of those local soldiers who served in World War One.

The plaque on the flag pole states that in 1919 Fred and Henry Muche felled and sapped an ironbark tree off Missigs Road, Haigslea. The pole was then snigged to Marburg and erected where it stands today. In November 1995 a similar honour stone was erected to those who served in World War Two.

Marburg Notes.
Our correspondent writes:-The honour stone has been erected at the base of the flag staff, and makes an excellent monument to the men who enlisted from this centre. A sports gathering will be held at a later date, in conjunction with the Agricultural Society, when the memorial will be officially unveiled.
Queensland Times (Ipswich, Qld.), 5 June 1920.

Location

Address:Edmond and Queen Streets, Community Centre, Marburg, 4346
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.566047
Long: 152.596294
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:Multiple
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Monday 1st September, 1919
Left Side Inscription

For King & Empire

This flagstaff was erected 
In Honour Of
    Those
Local Soldiers
Who Served
    In The
Great War

1914 - 1919

Erected Sept.1919

Right Side Inscription

In Honour Of
Those Who Served
Their Country.
   Many Paid
The Supreme Sacrifice.
Their Names Live
Forevermore.

Lest We Forget

 

Source: MIV,SKP,QWMR, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design