Laidley War MemorialPrint Page
The Laidley War Memorial was originally erected to commemorate the fallen of World War One. Set on a many stepped base, surrounded by paving, the memorial is one of the tallest obelisks in Queensland, with a laurel wreath and sword near the top. The names of the fallen of World War Two are inscribed on the front of the memorial while the names of the fallen from World War One are inscribed on the other three sides.
The Fallen Soldiers Memorial and Soldiers Honour Roll are now being erected at Laidley. The memorial is an obelisk of grey granite which is 22 feet high. Three marble tablets contain the names of the men from the Laidley Shire who paid the supreme sacrifice and on the fourth tablet will be a suitable inscription. The soldiers honour roll is a gate archway constructed of grey granite with a bronze lintel with the inscription. On two marble tablets are engraved the names of all the men who enlisted from the Laidley Shire or were residents in the Shire when they enlisted for service. The gates and war memorial were unveiled by the Governor of Queensland, Sir Matthew Nathan on the 15th February 1923.
The Brisbane Courier, 1st February 1923
|Address:||Patrick Street & Whites Road, Laidley, 4341|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.633674|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Thursday 15th February, 1923|
THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVER MORE
This Plaque Has Been Erected In
Honour Of Those Who Gave Their
Lives In The Second World War