The Dal Ryan War Memorial Swimming PoolPrint Page
The Dal Ryan War Memorial Swimming Pool was erected in memory of those who served. The war memorial pool was renamed in honour of Dal Ryan on the 21st January 1995.
The Swimming Pool Committee started in 1947 on an ambitious project of raising £10,000 for a swimming pool to be the district's war memorial. It struggled against apathy and outright opposition with many early supporters falling by the wayside, leaving only a handful of workers including the inaugurator, Mr. Angus Meikle. In 1953, Mr Max Whitehouse , managing director of Queen Street Hotels Pty Ltd gave land at his birthplace, Laidley, for a war memorial swimming pool.
Queensland Times, 14th October 1952,
The Courier Mail, 9th February 1953.
|Address:||John Street, Laidley, 4341|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.632535|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.