Pine Rivers Honour GatesPrint Page
Pine Rivers Honour Gates were originally erected to commemorate the fallen of World War One. The gates were erected at the Lawnton Showgrounds in July 1923. Additional plaques were added at a later date to commemorate the fallen of World War Two and those who served in Korea, Malaya and Vietnam.
A fete was held in the Lawnton Showground, on Saturday, under the auspices of the Pine Rivers A., H., and I., Society, in conjunction with the Pine Shire Council Memorial Committee. Mr R. J. Warren, M.L.A., who was introduced by the president (Mr. W. F. Affleck), performed the opening ceremony, and praised the action of the district in proposing to erect memorial gates at such a suitable site. It was announced that the gates would be unveiled at the show in July.
"A gateway is an appropriate symbol of the war through which Australia entered into nationhood, and her soldiers passed to a foremost place In tho manhood of the world." So spoke his Excellency the Governor, Sir Matthew Nathan, when officially opening the gates erected to the memory of the district's fallen soldiers, at the Pine River Show on Saturday. The memorial gates, which are handsomely designed and executed, form the entrance to the Pine River Show Ground at Lawnton, and were erected at an approximate cost of £323. One each of the stone pillars are marble tablets , one bearing the names of 28 of the district's fallen soldiers. After an appropriate address to the crowd, His Excellency then unlocked the gates which were then thrown open and read aloud the names of the departed soldiers on the marble tablet.
The Brisbane Courier, 2nd May, 30th July, 1923.
|Address:||ANZAC Avenue , Pine Rivers District RSL Memorial Gardens, Kallangur, 4503|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.251667|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 28th July, 1923|
(far left pillar)
1939 - 1945
1948 - 1960.
1964 - 1965.
Are Dedicated To
The Memory Of
Our Fallen Heroes
(far right pillar)
1939 - 1945
1962 - 1966