www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Jimbour War Memorial HallPrint Page Print this page

Jimbour Memorial Hall : 23-03-2011
Jimbour Memorial Hall : 23-03-2011
Photographs supplied by John Huth

Jimbour War Memorial Hall was erected in memory of those who served in conflicts in which Australia has been involved. The original Jimbour War Memorial Hall which was built to honour those who served in World War One was destroyed by a storm in 1949 and a new hall was built on the site.

Jimbour was buffeted by a severe storm and a two story galvanised hall was blown down. Jimbour residents were planning to build a new memorial hall on the site of the building destroyed by the storm. They hoped to use some of the material of the very old building but it was found that little could be salvaged.
The Courier-Mail, 31st December 1949.

The Jimbour School of Arts War Memorial Hall was officially opened by the State member for Aubigny (Mr.W. B. J. G. Sparkes M.L.A.) during a ball held on Saturday night week. Addressing a crowd of nearly 700 people, who paid a total admission of over £380, Mr. Sparkes said that it was one of the best country halls he had been in, and its removal by road from Jandowae, to replace the hall destroyed by cyclone, and its establishment at Jimbour, was an achievement reflecting much credit on all concerned. Also amongst the official speakers were the Federal Member for Maranoa (Mr. W. J. Brimblecombe), and Mr. C. W. Russell, a notable benefactor of the hall. Mr. Russell, whilst moving a vote of thanks to Mr. Sparkes, remarked that the hall was a civic centre in keeping with the progressive Jimbour district, and that such centres tended to promote a higher standard of life in communities. An appeal from the stage by the secretary for donations yielded over £200. Visitors included people from N.S.W., and towns as far distant as Roma, Goondiwindi, Condamine and Kingaroy. It is expected that the net proceeds of the function will be in the vicinity substantially of £500,which will reduce the debt of £1,700 owing on the hall, which, when completed, cost £3,600. An attractive feature of the hall, which aroused much favourable comment, was the fluorescent lighting, which set off the soft pastel shades of the interior colour scheme. 
Dalby Herald (Qld.), 10 November 1953.

Location

Address:Dalby-Jandowae Road, Jimbour, 4406
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -26.963658
Long: 151.216709
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:Multiple

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 31st October, 1953
Source: SKP, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design