Goodna War MemorialPrint Page
Goodna War Memorial was originally erected in honour of the men from Goodna who enlisted in the Great War 1914-1918. The names of the fallen of World War Two were added to the memorial at a later date.
All sections of the community in Goodna assembled last Saturday afternoon, the occasion being the unveiling of the honour stone recently erected in the town. The ceremony was performed by his Excellency the Governor (Sir Matthew Nathan, G.C.M.G.) who made a stirring speech dealing with Australia's contribution towards assisting the Empire during the war, and the present duties of the people.
The stone is surmounted by an obelisk and there are three panels, on which are inscribed in lead letters, the names of all the men who enlisted from the district the front panel containing the list of those who lost their lives in the war. Above the names is a laurel wreath of bronze. The monument is built on a solid concrete foundation with a basement of rough Ulam marble.
Queensland Times (Ipswich) (Qld), 26 September 1921.
|Address:||Queen & Church Street, Goodna, 4300|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.610412|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Manufacturer:||P. J. Lowther & Son (Petrie Bight, QLD)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 24th September, 1921|
FOR GOD, KING, AND COUNTRY
ERECTED IN HONOR OF THE MEN WHO ENLISTED FROM GOODNA & DISTRICT
IN THE GREAT WAR
1914 - 1919.
KILLED ON ACTIVE SERVICE 1939-45 WAR