Giru War MemorialPrint Page
Giru War Memorial was originally erected in memory of those who served in World War One. A plaque containing the names of those who died in service or were killed in action during World War One and Two were added at a later date as were commemorative plaques to the Korean and Vietnam Wars. The memorial has been renovated and the original war trophy removed.
The original Giru War Memorial consisted of a German Machine Gun mounted on a concrete column which was unveiled by Lieutenant Colonel North M.C on the 22nd July 1935 in the C.W.A. Park which was officially opened on the same day.
Townsville Daily Bulletin , 1st July 1935
|Address:||Carey Street, Lions Brolga Park, Giru, 4809|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -19.515001|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 27th July, 1935|
1914 - 1918
1939 - 45
GIRU SUB BRANCH
IN MEMORY OF