Forest Hill War MemorialPrint Page
Forest Hill War Memorial was originally erected in memory of the fallen and those who served in World War One. The names of the fallen of World War Two were added at a later date.
The digger is typical of P. J. Lowther designed digger memorials as also seen at Blackbutt, Murgon and Tiaro. It is possible that the monument was actually carved by Charles Lowther, sculptor son of this Brisbane masonry family, and an ex-serviceman who fought with the Australian Light Horse in World War One. Names of 11 men who died in World War One fill one section, with names of another 86 volunteers listed.
A large and representative gathering assembled on the 26th March for the unveiling of the soldier's memorial. The stone which is surmounted by a soldiers standing at ease has been erected near the Forest Hill railway station. The unveiling was performed by five mothers of fallen soldiers.
The Brisbane Courier, 28th March 1921
|Address:||Victoria Street, Forest Hill, 4342|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.588783|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Manufacturer:||P. J. Lowther & Son (Petrie Bight, QLD)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 26th March, 1921|
For King & Country
Greater Love Hath
No man Than This
For King and Country 1939 - 1945