East Brisbane War MemorialPrint Page
The monument was originally erected in memory of those who served in World War One, and was the earliest World War One Memorial in Brisbane. A plaque was later added to commemorate those who served during World War Two.
The 'digger' statue, a rare Queensland representation of an Australian Light Horseman, was carved by Alfred Batstone. The foundation stone was laid in November 1916, on the brow of the hill near Lytton Road, with views of both the Shafston and Humbug reaches of the Brisbane River, and the memorial was unveiled by Lady Goold-Adams on 11 August 1917. It was flanked by two cannons, reputedly part of Thursday Island's 19th century defences, and was surrounded by a garden in the shape of a cross. Additional honour rolls were added during and after the war.
The fine statue of honour, erected as a permanent recognition of the gallant services rendered by the 520 men of the East Brisbane training area, (which includes Kangaroo Point, East Brisbane, Logan-road, and Norman Creek) by joining the colours, was unveiled by Lady Goold-Adams in Mowbray Park on Saturday afternoon.
The president of the honour roll and statue committee (Mr. McFadden) reviewed the work of the society, drawing attention to the honour that the 8C training area had won in 1913, when it had the finest cadet team in the Commomwealth. He stated the society first formed on March 28, 1916, when the committee accepted a tender of £187/10/ for the erection of the statue from Mr. Batstone. The granite had been obtained from Melbourne, and the sandstone from Helidon.
Lady Goold-Adams was then called upon to unveil the honour roll and statue, and in doing so expressed her gratification at seeing so fine a memorial to those gallant boys who had responded to the call of the Empire. As President of the Red Cross Society, she thanked them for the kind thought of putting a garden in the shape of a red cross round the statue.
The Brisbane Courier (Qld), 13 August 1917.
|Address:||38 Lytton Road, Mowbray Park, East Brisbane, 4169|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.47908|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Manufacturer:||W. Batstone & Sons (South Brisbane, QLD)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 11th August, 1917|
This Statue And Plaque Was Unveiled By Her Excellency Lady Goold- Adams
August 11th 1917.
This Foundation Stone Was Laid By His Excellency Sir Hamilton J. Goold-Adams
November 4th 1916.
THEY DIED THAT WE MIGHT LIVE
This Honour Roll And Statue Was Erected By The Efforts Of The East Brisbane Honour Roll And Statue Committee
FAITHFUL TILL THE END