Lone Pine MemorialPrint Page
Five pine trees commemorate the servicemen and servicewomen who have served, died or been killed in various conflicts. The first planting occured on 25 April 1979, the second and third plantings occurred in 1989, and the remaining two trees in 2004 which commemorate the 2nd / 15th Battalion.
The Lone Pine was the name given to a solitary tree on the Gallipoli Peninsula in Turkey, which marked the site of the Battle of Lone Pine in 1915 during World War One and it was the sole survivor of a group of trees that had been cut down by Turkish soldiers who had used the timber and branches to cover their trenches. Pines which are planted as a memorial to the Australian and New Zealand soldiers who fought in Gallipoli are also known as "Lone Pines" or "Gallipoli Pines", referencing the original tree.
Melbourne Legacy and the Yarralumla Nursery in Canberra have grown seedlings sourced from the trees at the Shrine of Remembrance and the Australian War Memorial respectively, which they have presented to schools as well as ex-service and other organisations throughout Australia.
|Address:||Oaklands Parade, Church of England Grammar School, East Brisbane, 4169|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.481801|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
Descendant of the original Lone Pine of Gallipoli
Presented by Legacy