Coolangatta State School War MemorialPrint Page Print this page

The Kirra (Coolangatta) State School War Memorial consists of the obelisk which originally unveiled on the 7th May 1948 to commemorate four students from the former Coolangatta State School who were killed in World War Two. The small white obelisk stood in the grounds of the former school for over 57 years. The school was replaced by a new one at Kirra in 1977 and the old school became a Special School which closed in 2005.

The obelisk was rescued from obscurity and the danger of vandalism and transferred by the Gold Coast South- Twin Towns Branch of the Association to the location at Kirra. Refurbished, it shares pride of place in the new Gallipoli garden with a pine tree grown from seed from Lone Pine in another place where many young Australians died against heavy odds.

It was re-dedicated on Remembrance Day, 11 November 2005 at a ceremony presided over by the Minister for Veterans Affairs, the Honourable De-Anne Kelly MP. On Anzac Day, 2006, the School added two more names of past pupils to the Memorial. They are 2nd Lieutenant John Fraser and Private Lex Adams, both of whom were killed on active service in Vietnam.


Address:Stapylton Street , Coolangatta State School, Kirra , 4225
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -28.17203
Long: 153.528602
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Friday 11th November, 2005
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design