www.monumentaustralia.org.au

War Nurses Memorial and ParkPrint Page Print this page

13-October-2015
13-October-2015

Photographs supplied by Bill Bale

The Memorial Pavillion and a park was established to commemorate the twelve local women who served as nursing sisters in World War One and the four who served in World War Two. Although there are many different types of war memorials throughout Queensland, apart from honour boards, this is the only known one that honours the role of women in World War One. The pavilion contains a marble honour roll of nurses who served. 

Two of the nurses died in World War Two; one (Sister Pearl Mittelheuser) in a Japanese prisoner of war camp and the other (Sister Joyce Wyllie) in the sinking of the Centaur.

The pavilion was constructed at a cost of over £1000 which was raised in seven weeks by public subscription and fund raising by the Bundaberg General Hospital and the women of the Red Cross.

The park was rededicated on the 15th August 1995 on the 50th anniversary of the end of World War Two. The park has since been enhanced with the addition of a memorial wall, an ANZAC Centenary Memorial Walk and Commemorative Gardens; and a Centenary of ANZAC Avenue – Remembering our War Nurses. There are also storyboards commemorating the War Nurses. 

Location

Address:Bourbong & Takalvan Streets, War Nurses Memorial Park, Bundaberg West, 4670
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -24.869918
Long: 152.336184
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:Multiple
Monument Designer:E. H. Boden
Monument Manufacturer:Zero Ziegler (Honour Roll)
Link:http://www.qldwarmemorials.com.au/P…

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 15th October, 1949
Front Inscription

Plaque in pavilion :

World War I
[ Names ]

World War II
[ Names ]

Plaque in pavilion :

Opened by His Worship the Mayor
Ald. F. H. BUSS 
on 15th October 1949,
Erected by public subscription
Sponsored by West Bundaberg
Progress Association

Left Side Inscription

Plaque :
Bundaberg / Burnett Honour Roll
Firat World War 1914 - 1918

Nurses who served overseas with Australian Army Nursing Service or Queen Alexandra`s Imperial Military Nursing Service

[ Names ]

Plaque :

Peace Garden

Dedicated to nurses who paid the supreme sacrifice

Lest We Forget

The vision and hopes of a peaceful future of those who paid the supreme sacrifice in the service of their country are reflected in the quietness and beauty of the Peace Garden and shows that this community remembers them and we honour their sacrifice with a lasting living tribute.

Unveiled on 24th September 2014 at a commemorative service marking the Centenary of the First World War

Commissioned by Bundaberg & District Ex Servicewomen`s Association

Plaque :

War Nurses Memorial & Park
Rededicated 15th August 1995
50th Anniversary - End WWII

Bundaberg & District Ex Servicewomen`s Association

 

Source: MA,MIV,QWMR,QHR
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design