Brooweena War Memorial Print Page
Brooweena War Memorial is a marble and sandstone memorial honouring the thirty-nine local men who served during World War One including the ten who died. A later set of plates records the forty-three local men and women who served in the World War Two.
The strength of Brooweena’s patriotic support during World War One was remarkable and it funded an ambulance for France and has another memorial (the privately funded Bridge Creek bridge) south of the town at Gigoomgan. The size of the digger memorial is large in comparison to the size of the town. The origin of this digger memorial is unclear and the pedestal is of a style not found elsewhere in Queensland and the inscription is also considered to be unusual.
The handsome memorial situated adjacent to St Mary`s Anglican Church, Teebar with the names of the fallen and those who enlisted for active service in the war stands as a grateful tribute of the residents of Woocoo, whose desire it is to perpetuate the memory of the Empire's defenders. It was appropriate that the unveiling ceremony, which took place at noon on Saturday should have been performed by Major General T. W. Glasgow, one of Australia's most distinguished military leaders.
The Woocoo Shire memorial, is located in a typical Australian setting surrounded by tall native trees with the dark green foliage along the banks of Sandy creek as a background, and standing out in relief upon a sloping hill. This base of the memorial, several feet in height, is of freestone, and is surmounted by another column with marble facings bearing appropriate inscriptions. The figure of an Australian soldier standing with reversed arms, with head bowed, is expressive of tender sentiment. Apart from this latter aspect, the memorial is from an aesthetic standpoint an excellent piece of workmanship.
Maryborough Chronicle, Wide Bay and Burnett Advertiser (Qld), 8 January 1923.
|Address:||Smith Crescent & Lahey Street, Brooweena, 4620|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -25.600425|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Manufacturer:||F. W. Webb (Maryborough, QLD)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 6th January, 1923|
"GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS"
ON FAME'S ETERNAL CAMPING
THEIR SILENT TENTS ARE SPREAD
WHERE GLORY GUARDS WITH
THE BIVOUAC OF THE DEAD
(LOWER PLAQUE )
IN GRATEFUL MEMORY
WHO OFFERED THEIR ALL
1914 - 1918
FOR THE CAUSE OF PEACE