49th Australian Infantry Battalion MemorialPrint Page
The bronze and marble 49th Australian Infantry Battalion Memorial is dedicated to the fallen of both World Wars. There is an extensive Roll of Honour surrounding the main plaque.
The 49th Infantry Battalion Memorial Plaque was unveiled by Colonel Lorenzo who was the original Commanding Officer of the Battalion. He trained and organised the unit in Egypt in early 1916, from men composed of recruits from Queensland and partly from veterans of the 9th Battalion. The plaque was unveiled on the 3rd March 1935 and was designed by a member of the battalion, Mr.M.H.E.Henderson.
The Courier-Mail, 25th February & 4th March 1935.
|Address:||Ann Street, ANZAC Square, Shrine of Remembrance Crypt, Brisbane, 4000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.466428|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Mr M.H.E.Henderson|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 3rd March, 1935|
49TH. BATTALION MEMORIAL
TO THE MEMORY
Pozieres – Bullecourt – Messines
Polygonwood – Passchaendale – Ancre
Villiers Bretonneux – Amiens – Hindenburg Line
OF THOSE WHO PAID THE
IN WORLD WAR