Boonah War MemorialPrint Page Print this page

Boonah War Memorial Digger Closeup
Boonah War Memorial Digger Closeup

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson / John Huth

Boonah War Memorial commemorates Australian servicemen and women who have served in all wars and conflicts.

The original Boonah War Memorial is a marble and granite digger memorial which honours the 374 local men who served during World War One including the sixty-nine who died. A memorial stone at the side of the original memorial is dedicated to all who served with honour.

Known as the Goolman Shire Soldiers Memorial, the foundation stone was laid on the 19th May 1920 by General Birdwood who was presented with a silver trowel by Councillor A.J.T. Mackay as a memento of the occasion.
The Brisbane Courier, 20th May 1920.

The Prince of Wales who went into the Ipswich and Boonah districts on Saturday experienced his first wet day in Queensland.  Before the Prince arrived at Boonah an impressive and touching ceremony was performed when a soldiers memorial, the glad gift of the residents of the district, was unveiled. It is a graceful and slender column on a substantial base and flanked by steps all in chaste white marble. The figure of a soldier rests on the summit and the panels bear the names of the 374 stout men of the district who rallied to the standard including on a separate panel, the names of the 63 brave soldiers who offered up the rich sacrifice of their own lives. The unveiling ceremony was performed by Mrs G A Bell, who was accompanied by her stalwart sons, two of whom were majors at the Front. 
The Brisbane Courier (Qld), 2 August 1920.



Address:Yeates Avenue & Park Street, Boonah Memorial Park, Boonah , 4310
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.997379
Long: 152.68108
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919
Monument Manufacturer:Frank Williams & Co (Ipswich, QLD)


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 31st July, 1920
Front Inscription



[ Names ]

Plaque : 

Foundation stone laid May 19.1920 by 
G.C.M.G., K.C.B. K.C.S.J. C.I.E. A.D.C.
Monument unveiled July 31.1920 by 
Mrs. G. A. BELL, 
On the occasion of the visit of 
H.R.H. the Prince of Wales


Inscription in Proximity

Dedicated To
All Who Served
And Served With Honour

Lest We Forget

Plaque :
The 60th Anniversary
The End Of World War II  
1945 - 2005
Unveiled By Cr. R. Smith
V.P. Day 15th August 2005

Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design