Alton Downs War MemorialPrint Page
Alton Downs War Memorial was originally erected in memory of those who served in World War One. Additional names to commemorate those who served in World War Two were added at a later date. Funding was received in 2013 to restore the memorial to commemorate those who have served in all conflicts in which Australia has been involved.
Originally erected to honour the men of the district who served in World War One, the memorial was unveiled on the 16th October 1920 by Mrs H.G.Wheeler. The memorial which is a broken column of Ulam marble cost £180 to erect. The memorial was sited not far from the Alton Downs school.
The Brisbane Courier,18th October 1920.
|Address:||1569 Ridgelands Road, Beside Community Hall , Alton Downs, 4702|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -23.302642|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Manufacturer:||F. M. Allan (Rockhampton, QLD)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 16th October, 1920|
THIS MONUMENT IS ERECTED
THE MEN OF THIS DISTRICT
WHO GAVE AND RISKED THEIR LIVES
IN THE WAR
LEST WE FORGET