www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Royal Australian Air Force Base FairbairnPrint Page Print this page

17-March-2015
17-March-2015

Photographs supplied by Glen Yeomans / Peter F Williams

Royal Australian Air Force Base Fairbairn Memorial commemorates all who served at the air force base from 1940 to 2002.

Location

Address:Federal Highway, R.A.A.F. Memorial Grove, Majura, 2609
State:ACT
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.211571
Long: 149.190164
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:Multiple

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 12th December, 2001
Front Inscription

Plaque 1:

                  RAAF BASE FAIRBAIRN  
ORIGINALLY ESTABLISHED AS RAAF STATION CANBERRA. 1ST APRIL 1940 PROUD OF A DEDICATED AND LONGSTANDING SERVICE TO AUSTRALIA AND HER PEOPLE, AND PART OF THE COMMUNITY IN CANBERRA, THE NATION'S CAPITAL
                 COMMEMORATES ALL WHO SERVED

Presented  on 12 December 2001           
RAAF BASE FAIRBAIRN Disbanded Dec 2002

 

Plaque 2:

ROYAL AUSTRALIAN AIR FORCE STATION CANBERRA
ROYAL AUSTRALIAN AIR FORCE BASE FAIRBAIRN
                               1939 -2003

After the RAAF`s first operational deployment of 3 Squadron to Canberra in March 1927 the Government, confronted with the threat of WW2, approved establishment of RAAF Station Canberra, commissioned in April 1940 with 8 Squadron as the first operational unit. 

Previously formed in September 1939 8 Squadron was later equipped with Lockheed Hudson bomber aircraft and deployed to Sembawang - Singapore.

In early 1940 the station was responsible for anti-submarine patrols along the NSW South Coast, Army co-operational operation flying and technical training.  No 2 Technical Training School was established on the Canberra Technical College - Kingston.

Throughout the Second World War co-operational flying, air ambulance and mobile radar units were raised at Canberra and deployed into the Pacific area or operations in defence of Australia.

During 1942 - 1943 RAAF Station Canberra was operational home for three Netherland East Indies Air Force Squadrons before they were redeployed to the Pacific war against Japan.

In Post War years, with a name change to RAAF Fairbairn in March 1962 until formally closed to make way for the development of the Canberra International Airport, the base has been "home" to 86 Transport Wing, Governor General's Flight, 34 Squadron, Special Survey Flight, 30 Squadron Air Power Studies Centre, RAAF Staff College, 5 and 9 Squadrons, 28 Reserved (City of Canberra) Australian Defence Force Helicopter School and 315 Squadron - Air Force Cadets

              "LEST WE FORGET"  
   THEIR SERVICE IS OUR HERITAGE

60th Anniversary Victory Pacific August 2006

Source: MA,SKP
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design