Australian Special Air Service Memorial Rose GardenPrint Page
A rose garden commemorates the members of the Special Air Service Regiment who have given their lives in the service of their country, both overseas and in Australia.
In the garden directly behind the memorial, a Leonard Cheshire rose has been planted for each name listed on the memorial.
This rose was named after Group Captain the Lord Cheshire, a distinguished British airman during World War Two. After witnessing the dropping of the nuclear bomb on Nagasaki, Japan, on 9 August 1945, Cheshire radically changed his life. He dedicated the rest of his life to working for the disabled and terminally ill, founding the Leonard Cheshire Foundation charity.
|Address:||Northbourne Avenue & Bunda Street, Veterans Park, Civic, 2601|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.277172|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 25th April, 1998|
Lest We Forget
[ Names ]
The Australian Special Air Service Memorial Rose Garden is a living tribute to the memory of those members who gave their lives in the finest of traditions.
The rose was developed as a tribute to a great man of the 20th century. Group Captain Lord Cheshire VC OM DSO DFC for unmatched courage in war and selfless dedication to the service of others in peace.
This memorial rose garden was unveiled on ANZAC Day 1998 by His Excellency the Honourable Sir William Deane AC KBE Governor-General of the Commonwealth of Australia.
The upgraded Memorial Rose garden and the replacement Stone of Remembrance were rededicated by Brigadier D. Fortune DSC, representing the Chief of Army on 17 November 2012.