The Shrine of RemembrancePrint Page
The Shrine is a clocktower built by immigrants in 1953 which represents the three military services. The clocktower is built over the original World War One monument which was unveiled on Anzac Day 1924.
A public meeting in 1946 agreed on a clock tower as its 1939-45 memorial and a committee was set up to bring this into being. Much work was accomplished during the years between its inception and the time when a tender was accepted for its erection on 27th July, 1953. Difficulties in securing a site ended when it was agreed to place it where the 1914-18 memorial stood at the intersection of Reibey St, Risby St, and Alexandra Road, the highest point in the town. This memorial was incorporated in the new memorial.
A new arrival in Ulverstone, Cvetko Florian Mejac, from Slovenia, offered to prepare plans and specifications free of cost to the committee which accepted a design submitted by him. A four faced electrical clock was ordered from Ingrams Bright Pty Ltd of Melbourne at a cost of £1,100. A public appeal for funds was opened and well supported. The state Government subscribed £3,000. The municipal Council gave approval for the work to proceed and tenders were called for. Only one tender was received this being from ‘Artisan’, South Road, Ulverstone, members being Jernej Bajzelj, Rudy Zimic, both Slovenians, and John McNeill. This tender was accepted and work commenced on July 30th, 1953, and completed January 5th, 1954.
If all obligations in the way of promises are carried out the ceremony of unveiling the Soldiers' Memorial at Ulverstone on Anzac Day will assume large and rather impressive proportions. A strong contingent of the Light Horse will take part as well as the Boy Scouts, now under canvas on the Recreation Ground. The various ministers will take part in the religious part of the ceremony. Special cards of invitation have been issued to all parents of fallen soldiers who can be traced. It may be remembered that there are about 100 names of fallen soldiers on the tablets of the memorial, which, it is earnestly hoped by the committee, will be unveiled free of debt. In order to reach this very desirable consummation about £60 has yet to be raised, and those who have not yet subscribed are asked to do so now.
Examiner (Launceston), 24th April 1924
|Address:||Risby Street, Reibey Street & Alexandra Road, Ulverstone, 7315|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -41.157839|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Friday 25th April, 1924|
Erected by the residents of the Leven Municipality, in memory of those who laid down their lives in the Great War 1914 - 1918 [ Names ]
Note : the “Tasmanian War Memorials Data Base” , compiled by Fred Thornett which is located at the State Library of Tasmania, contains a comprehensive listing of the names on this monument.