Northdown Roll of HonourPrint Page
A honour roll commemorates those who served in World Wars One and Two. It lists 34 names. The roll was originally unveiled in 1918 to commemorate those who served in World War One.
Monument characteristics :
Wooden honour roll with gold lettering. At the top is a crown flanked by the Union Jack and the Australian flag.
Messrs. Wilson Bros, of Devonport, have just completed the construction of a very handsome honor board for St. James Church of England, Northdown. The board contains 30 names, which have been artistically written by Mr.T. J. Young. The board, which is constructed of Tasmanian oak, and is handsomely embellished, will cost about £14. In addition to the honor board, the Northdown congregation intend to erect a colored chancel window in honor of the men who have fallen. To date, nine have made the supreme sacrifice.
The North Western Advocate and the Emu Bay Times (Tas), 26th July 1918.
|Address:||829 Port Sorell Road, St James` Anglican Church, Northdown, 7307|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -41.179485|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Type:||Honour Roll|
|Monument Designer:||Mr T. J. Young (inscriber)|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Messrs. Wilson Bros (Devonport, TAS)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 4th August, 1918|
Northdown Roll of Honour
First World War
1914 - 1918
[ Names ]
These gave their lives in the Second World War, 1939 - 1945
[ Names ]
"We will remember them"
Note : the “Tasmanian War Memorials Data Base” , compiled by Fred Thornett which is located at the State Library of Tasmania, contains a comprehensive listing of the names on this monument.