Frankford Soldiers Memorial HallPrint Page
The original Frankford Soldiers Memorial Hall was erected in memory of those who served in World One. The hall was built by public subscription in 1928 and burnt down in 1950. Frankford had two halls and the Frankford hall is also known as the Soldiers Memorial Hall.
A public meeting was held in the Frankford hall on the 18th December 1923. Mr W. H .Robinson presided and explained that the meeting had been convened by the committee of control the for hall and recreation ground for the purpose of submitting information relative to the dimensions of the proposed memorial hall and the probable cost. It was estimated that the building would cost approximately £450.
The Mercury (Hobart), 22nd December 1923.
While Frankford residents slept in the early hours of Saturday morning the village Memorial Hall was burnt to the ground in a matter of minutes by an unexplained fire. Several hundred people, many of them from Launceston, had attended the annual Frankford Sporting Club ball on Friday night. But when Mr. O. Lee, the caretaker, locked up at 2 a.m. everything seemed in order. It is believed that the hall, a wooden building , was insured for £400 against fire.
The Memorial Hall was built by public subscription in 1928. It cost £500, but it is estimated a similar hall would to-day cost £3000. Frankford still has a hall. More than 20 years ago, when arrangements were being made to build the memorial Hall, the committee could not agree. They split into two sections and built two halls. The one still standing is known as the Public Hall.
Examiner (Launceston) 6th March 1950
|Address:||Frankford Road, Frankford, 7275|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -41.34157|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.