The ANZAC StonePrint Page
A stone commemorates the men and women who have helped build Australia and the Honourable J.J.Dwyer V.C. The stone is used for ANZAC commemorative services.
John James Dwyer (1890 -1962) was a resident of Bruny Island after World War One and served as a Bruny Island Councillor from 1924 until he moved to New Norfolk in 1928. He died on Bruny Island in 1962.
On 26 September 1917, during the battle of Polygon Wood (Zonnebeke, Belgium), Dwyer's Vickers machine-gun team came under fire until he rushed his gun forward, and at point-blank range put the enemy gun out of action. He then took both weapons and helped repulse a German counter-attack. Later, after his Vickers was blown up by shellfire, he led his team back through the enemy barrage to secure another and then bring it into action. At all times, he showed "contempt of danger, cheerfulness and courage". Dwyer was commissioned in May 1918 and returned to Australia five months later.
Back in Tasmania, he became active in local affairs and politics. He established a sawmilling business at New Norfolk. In 1931 he entered state parliament and eventually held several important offices, including that of Deputy Premier.
|Address:||School Road, Alonnah Community Hall, Alonnah, 7150|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -43.317191|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
The ANZAC stone
Dedicated to all men and women who have helped to build, strengthen and preserve this nation of Australia and especially to a distinguished son of Bruny, the Hon. J. J. Dwyer V.C., M.H.A. who in peace and war proved himself a true Australian.