Scotch College Memorial HallPrint Page
Scotch College Memorial Hall commemorates old boys and masters who gave their lives in both World Wars.
The appeal to fund the memorial raised £9,000 by 1950. A fete organised in 1953 raised £2,500. Another fete was arranged and appeals to both past students and parents increased the total raised to £17,500. Despite lack of funds, David Brisbane, a council member since 1945, laid the foundation stone for the hall in early 1957. Although donations to schools over £1 had been tax-deductible since 1954, it was not until January 1957 that the Taxation Department informed the school that all donations towards the new Scotch College Building Fund would be tax-deductible. The appeal committee launched a major appeal raising £23,000 for the Memorial Hall.
The Memorial Hall was opened by Sir Charles Gairdner, Governor of Western Australia on 19 October 1957, the same year as the school's Diamond Jubilee.
A public meeting was held in St Aiden's Presbyterian Hall Claremont on the 9th December 1947 to launch an appeal for funds for the erection of a memorial to those from the school who gave their lives in both World Wars. The Chairman of the Committee, Professor Thomson, said he was in agreement with the others and felt an assembly hall would be a noble memorial for the college. Plans had already been prepared by the schools architect.
The West Australian,10th December 1947
|Address:||76 Shenton Road, Swanbourne, 6010|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.98066|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 19th October, 1957|