Southern Cross War MemorialPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Michael Doncaster

The memorial is a concrete obelisk on a stone plinth on a stone base and commemorates 61 service personnel who died in service or were killed in action in World Wars One and Two. It was originally erected on a portion of Road Board land and unveiled in 1924 by the Governor of Western Australia, and was moved to its present position in Antares Street and rededicated on ANZAC Day 1935.

On the 10th February 1924, the Governor of Western Australia arrived in Southern Cross with Major General Sir Talbot Hobbs and the Bishop of Kalgoorlie for the unveiling of the town's war memorial. The unveiling ceremony took place in front of more than 1000 men. women and children. The memorial was inscribed with the names of 68 men from Southern Cross and District who paid the supreme sacrifice in the Great War. A high tribute was paid by General Hobbs to the work of goldfields men in the war especially the miners and tunnellers.
The West Australian (Perth),11th February 1924.


Address:Antares Street, Memorial Hill Park , Southern Cross, 6426
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -31.228263
Long: 119.325282
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 10th February, 1924
Front Inscription


For King and Country
1914  1918 

[ Names ]

Erected by the people of Southern Cross and Districts in revernet memory of late residents of Yilgarn who made the supreme sacrifice in the Great War.

 "Lest we forget."

Left Side Inscription
Back Inscription


For King and Country
1939  1945

[ Names ]

Right Side Inscription
Source: SKP, MA, WMR
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design